New Hampshire House of Reformation
In 1855 the state legislature passed an act which authorized the governor and council to appoint a board of three commissioners, empowered to buy a tract of land and erect buildings thereon, to provide a "house of reformation for juvenile and female offenders against the laws." The building site was a farm which once belonged to Gen. John Stark. Construction began in 1857 and was completed in May 1858. Known as the state reform school, it was managed by a nine-member board of trustees who were appointed by the governor and council.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Overview New Hampshire House of Reformation register of inmates. Contains crime and punishment as well as release dates and origin of offender. Also contains an extract of meeting minutes of the board, as well as a receipt related to Joseph Kidder and the purchase of land.