United States Patent Office (1836)
- Existence: 1836
The U.S. Patent Office was founded as part of the Patent Act of 1836. It was part of the Department of State and chaired by the Commissioner of Patents. On July 13, 1836, Patent Number 1 was granted. In 1836, The Patent Office also went back and renumbered all previous patents with a suffix "X". Prior to this, patents were listed by names and dates and not numbers. After the renumbering, the very first US Patent became Patent 1X. On December 15 of the same year, a fire demolished the Patent Office, and only 2,845 patents were recovered. This resulted in a law that required all patent applications to be submitted in doubles. This law for double copies of patent applications was dropped in 1870 when the Patent Office started printing. n 1849, the Patent Office was transferred from the State Department to the Department of the Interior.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Overview "Receipt for Models shipped to Dartmouth College from the United States Patent Office on the 9th of January 1872" (probably for Thayer School of Engineering which was founded in 1867)
Identifier: Mss 833680
Overview In English.