Nausett Life Saving Station
The concept of assistance to shipwrecked mariners from shore based stations began with volunteer lifesaving services, spearheaded by the Massachusetts Humane Society. Formal federal government involvement in the life saving business began on August 14, 1848 with the signing of the Newell Act. The stations were administered by the United States Revenue Marine (later renamed the United States Revenue Cutter Service). They were run with volunteer crews, much like a volunteer fire department. By 1874, stations were added along the coast of Maine, Cape Cod, the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and Port Aransas, Texas. The next year, more stations were added to serve the Great Lakes and the Houses of Refuge in Florida. In 1878, the network of life saving stations were formally organized as a separate agency of the United States Department of the Treasury, called the Live-Saving Service.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Overview Wreck Reports of the Nausett Life Saving Station in Eastham, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Contains particulars about each vessel and crew as well as a detailed report about each incident. Includes letter from Henry Beston to Harold Rugg about his donation of the wreck report notebook.