Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb of the State of Maryland
Authorized by the General Assembly in 1867, the Maryland School for the Deaf opened at Frederick in September 1868. The first students lived and studied at the Frederick Town Barracks (known as the Hessian Barracks) before moving into the School's "Old Main" building in 1873. That structure remained until 1975 when new building construction began from 1975 to 1985 on the Frederick campus. A second campus of the Maryland School for the Deaf was authorized in 1968 and opened at Columbia in September 1973.