Bangor and Piscataquis Canal and Railroad Company
In 1833, a new group of investors chartered the Bangor and Piscataquis Canal and Rail Road Company with the state. In 1835, construction began again and on November 20, 1836, the first train ran from Bangor to Old Town; the line opened to the public on the 29th of November that year. The company ran for thirteen years until it was sold to General Samuel Veazie in 1849 who built a bridge across the Penobscot River and extended the tracks to Milford. At this time General Veazie renamed it the Bangor, Old Town and Milford Railroad. The European and North American Railroad bought the line in 1869, and it was ultimately acquired by the Maine Central Railroad in 1882.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Identifier: Mss 833158.1
Overview In English.