Dartmouth College. Alumni Fund
Dartmouth's organized effort to solicit support from the general body of alumni dates back to 1879 when President Bartlett sent out circulars outlining the fiscal needs of the College and and giving opportunities or its alumni. In 1904, an appeal went out to all alumni to fund the rebuilding of Dartmouth Hall, destroyed by fire that year. In 1906, the “Tucker Alumni Fund” was established.
In 1914, the general Association of Alumni created an annual fund campaign “first for the establishment of the permanent alumni interest-bearing fund; and second, to increase the funds available for current uses.” The importance of the availability of the annual Alumni Fund income for current expenses soon became evident, and subsequently a provision was made to free the total amount of the Fund's collections and income in any year for current use, should it be needed. Over time, the alumni were given the ability to earmark their donations for unrestricted current use or scholarship aid, continuing to meet much of the shortfall between endowment and tuition income. Programs supported by the Fund touch nearly every program on campus, from athletics to the arts.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Dartmouth College Alumni Fund records May be restricted
Formally established in 1914 by vote of the Association of Alumni of Dartmouth College after many decades of alumni fundraising programs, the Alumni Fund campaign raises funds in general support of College activities and scholarships. The records include correspondence, fund raising mailings, reports, meeting minutes, contributor lists and other materials documenting the fundraising activities of the annual Alumni Fund.