Dartmouth College. Chandler Scientific Department
In 1851 Abiel Chandler, a Harvard graduate and businessman of Walpole, N.H., bequeathed $50,000 to the Trustees of Dartmouth College for the establishment and support of a school or department "in the practical or useful arts of life", such as civil engineering, architecture and drawing, and modern languages, and stipulated that a board of visitors be entrusted with the interpretation of the provisions of his will. John James Dixwell and Francis Brown Hayes were appointed to the Board of Visitors, and the Chandler School of Science and Arts was opened in 1852 as a school in association with Dartmouth College. In 1865 the name of the school was changed to the Chandler Scientific Department. In 1892, partly because the bequest was insufficient to support an independent institution, the attempt to maintain the Chandler School was abandoned, and the Chandler Scientific course was established as part of the academic college. The course was continued under that name until its classes were assimilated by the regular curriculum of Dartmouth College
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Scope and Contents Collection consists of the records of the Chandler Scientific Department at Dartmouth College and the personal and professional papers of Abiel Chandler. Over half of the collection comprises student theses and sketchbooks for mechanical drawing and free drawing classes. The records also include treasurer's reports and accounts, and correspondence of the Chandler Scientific Department Board of Visitors, the trustees and the president of Dartmouth College. There are also merit rolls, grade books...