Skip to main content Skip to search results

Dartmouth College. Board of Trustees

 

The Board of Trustees of Dartmouth College was created as "one body corporate and politick" by the charter of Dartmouth College, 13 December 1769, comprising twelve members, including the President of the College and the Governor of New Hampshire as ex officio members. The Board first met in Keene, New Hampshire, 22 October 1770, and consisted of Sir John Wentworth, Gov. of New Hampshire, the Rev. Eleazar Wheelock, President of Dartmouth College, Theodore Atkinson, George Jaffrey, Daniel Pierce, Peter Gilman, William Pitkin, Benjamin Pomeroy, James Lockwood, Timothy Pitkin, John Smalley, and William Patten.

Dartmouth’s Board of Trustee is responsible for oversight of the financial, administrative, and academic affairs of the College, including the appointment and evaluation of the President, long-range strategic planning, maintaining the academic quality of all the degree programs, ensuring the excellence of the faculty and the quality of the student experience, approving operating and capital budgets, managing the endowment, leading fundraising efforts, setting tuition and fees, and approving major policy changes.

Over the years, the number of “elected” Trustees (i.e., Trustees in addition to the President and the Governor) and the overall size of the Board have varied. The Charter originally set the number of elected trustees at ten. In 1961, the New Hampshire legislature and the Board approved a Charter amendment increasing the number of elected Trustees to 14, and amended again in 1967 to omit the New Hampshire residency requirement for any members of the Board. In 2003, the Board voted to increase the number of elected Trustees to 20. Two of those new Board seats has been filled, bringing the current size of the Board to 18 (16 “elected” Trustees, the Governor, and the President of the College.) Today, as it has since 1970, the Board elects a Chair separate from the President of the College.

Among the major actions of the Board were the establishment of professional schools in Medicine (1797), Engineering (1867) and Business (1900); resolutions in 1876 and 1891 allowing for alumni nominations of some candidates for Trustee; the November 22, 1971, resolution making the undergraduate college coeducational; and the November 1989 decision to divest from companies doing business with South Africa.

Found in 263 Collections and/or Records:

Dartmouth College Trustees extract

Mss 793108.1
 Collection
Identifier: Mss 793108.1
Scope and Contents Dartmouth College Trustees extract from the minutes of the meeting. At the end of the document is a draft (crossed out) of a proposition to be made by the Trustees to the stewards in regard to Commons.

Dartmouth College Trustees extract

Mss 803490.1
 Collection
Identifier: Mss 803490.1
Overview In English.

Dartmouth College Trustees extract from proceedings

Mss 815475.1
 Collection
Identifier: Mss 815475.1
Overview In English.

Dartmouth College Trustees extract from records

Mss 841112
 Collection
Identifier: Mss 841112
Overview In English.

Dartmouth College Trustees extract of minutes

Mss 790490.1
 Collection
Identifier: Mss 790490.1
Overview In English.

Dartmouth College Trustees extract of records

Mss 817476.2
 Collection
Identifier: Mss 817476.2
Overview In English.

Dartmouth College Trustees extracts

Mss 794490
 Collection
Identifier: Mss 794490
Scope and Contents Extracts from the minutes of the Trustees' meeting relating to the Phillips professorship of theology and the donation made by John Phillips for enlarging the college library.

Dartmouth College Trustees lease

Mss 781174
 Collection
Identifier: Mss 781174
Scope and Contents One page lease for land in Landaff, NH given to Benjamin Wiser by the Trustees of Dartmouth College.

Dartmouth College Trustees letter

Mss 832206
 Collection
Identifier: Mss 832206
Overview In English.

Dartmouth College Trustees letter

Mss 812475.1
 Collection
Identifier: Mss 812475.1
Scope and Contents Letter from the Dartmouth College Trustees of Hanover, New Hampshire to Alexander Thayer, conferring the degree of Doctor of Medicine on him.