Northern Academy of Arts and Sciences
The academy was founded in 1841 "to aid in increasing in the community, a taste for Literature and Science...[which] would bring learned men in contact with each other, furnish an opportunity for exchanging views on great and important subjects, and operate as a stimulus in the pursuits of science." The membership came from Dartmouth faculty, alumni, and Hanover ministers. The academy created a library and a natural history museum. Biweekly and, later, monthly meetings were held to hear fellows present papers ranging from the moral and intellectual influence of novels to nebular theory and asteroids. The last meeting was held in 1889 and the academy was formally dissolved in 1904, at which time its property was transferred to the college.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
The collection contains administrative records of the Northern Academy of Science, including its constitution, by-laws, meeting minutes, library catalog, correspondence, incorporation and dissolution documents.