Bretton Woods Boy Singers (1910-1973)
- Existence: 1910 - 1973
The Bretton Woods Boy Singers were organized in 1910, to be the choir for the Joseph Stickney Memorial Chapel of the Transfiguration in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire. Frank Roland Hancock, a Harvard sophomore and member of the choir of St. Paul's Cathedral in Boston, was hired to direct the small group of boys for ten weeks each summer. The Singer's concert career began in 1911, with an impromptu performance a the Maplewood Hotel in Bethlehem, NH. Each summer thereafter, as many as thirty-five concerts were given in New Hampshire's North Country and surrounding areas. The group had a summer camp, Camp Duncan, on the Base Road to Mount Washington in Bretton Woods. Hancock resigned as director in 1964. His successor, Richard H. Bond, carried on until 1973, when financial pressures and Bond's ill health forced the dissolution of the Singers.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Overview Bretton Woods Boy Singers (1910-1973). Consist of correspondence, photographs, manuscripts, music, publicity materials, newspaper clippings and financial records relating to the choral group and its conductor, Frank Roland Hancock.