Windward (Ship) (1860-1907)
- Existence: 1860 - 1907
The "Windward," a three masted barque was built in Peterhead in 1860 for the whaling trade. It was fitted with steam engines in 1866. Almost every year for 33 years she visited the Arctic in pursuit of whales and seals. Sold in 1894 to Captain Joseph Wiggins, she was bought later in the same year by Alfred Harmsworth for the use of Frederick G. Jackson in his exploration of Franz Josef Land. In 1897, Harmsworth offered the vessel to Robert Peary. who was planning an assault on the North Pole from the northern tip of Greenland or from Ellsmere Island. After four years with Peary, including two winters trapped in ice, the "Windward" returned to her roots in whaling from Scotland. She was lost in the Davis Strait in 1907
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Windward (Ship) logbooks
"Windward," (1860-1907), whaler and Arctic exploration ship. Consist of logbooks chronicles two journeys from London to Franz Josef land in support of the Jackson-Harmsworth Expedition.