Hebron (N.H.: Town) (1765-)
- Existence: 1765-
Hebron, NH was first settled in 1765 and incorporated in 1792 from a portion of the extinct township of Cockermouth (now Groton), combined with a portion of what was then called West Plymouth. Most early settlers arrived from New England towns and farmin was the primary occupation. Other industries developed after the Mayhew Turnpike was built in 1803, connecting northern towns and lumber harvesting with southern cities and mills. In 1859 the population was 565, when Hebron contained one store and a tannery. By the 1920s, tourism developed into a major occupation, including summer lodges and winter skiing.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Overview Heberon, New Hampshire. The collection contains legal papers of the town including deeds as well as papers relating to the First Regular Baptist Society and the Civil War including bounty and enlistment papers. Documents signed by Dixi Crosby as Surgeon of the Board of Enrollment, Provost Marshall's Office, Third District, N.H. are also included.