Rumney (N.H.: Town)
Rumney is a town in Grafton County, New Hampshire. It was named after Robert Marsham, 2nd Baron Romney (pronounced Rumney). The town was originally granted in 1761 by Governor Benning Wentworth to settlers from Colchester and East Haddam, Connecticut. It was first settled in 1765; however, some grantees failed to comply with the charter, so Rumney was regranted to another group of settlers in 1767. Farmers found the town's soil fertile. By 1859, when the population was 1,109, other industries included fifteen sawmills, a large tannery, and a ladder factory. The Boston, Concord and Montreal Railroad commenced service to West Rumney in 1850-1851.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Overview Harris Family. The collection contains legal and financial papers relating to the family and the town of Rumney, N.H.