The town was granted by Governor Benning Wentworth on January 31, 1764 to Theophilus Fitch and others. It was named Coventry after Coventry, Connecticut, hometown to many of the settlers, who arrived shortly after the beginning of the Revolution. At the suggestion of Governor Isaac Hill, the name was changed on December 4, 1840 to Benton, in honor of Thomas Hart Benton, the Missouri senator who championed American westward expansion.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Overview Benton, New Hampshire (founded in 1764 as Coventry, changed to Benton in 1840). The collection contains town records for Coventry and Benton.