Haverhill (N.H.: Town)
Settled by citizens from Haverhill, Massachusetts, the town was first known as Lower Cohos. It was incorporated in 1763 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, and in 1773, became the county seat of Grafton County. Haverhill was the terminus of the old Province Road, which connected the northern and western settlements with the seacoast. By 1859, when the town had 2,405 inhabitants, industries included 3 gristmills, 12 sawmills, a paper mill, a large tannery, a carriage manufacturer, an iron foundry, 7 shoe factories, a printing office, and several mechanic shops. The town is home to the oldest documented covered bridge in the country still standing—the Haverhill-Bath Bridge, built in 1829.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: Mss 797230
Scope and Contents A document from Haverhill, N.H. Proprietors notifying proprietors and land owners of Haverhill of a tax assessment, and listing those whose taxes are still unpaid. On the reverse is a certification that the above document has been posted for thirty days.
Overview Haverhill, New Hampshire. The collection contains records of the town including a list of polls and taxable property (1804), records of the common schools and Haverhill Academy, miscellaneous business documents relating to the town and printed matter and clippings.