Skip to main content Skip to search results

Connecticut and Passumpsic Rivers Railroad Company. (1843-1877)

 

The Connecticut and Passumpsic Rivers Railroad Company was first chartered in 1835 but the charter became void and so they were chartered again in 1843. The company was first organized in 1846 with Erastus Fairbanks as its first president. In 1847, ground was broken for the first rails and by 1848 they had reached Wells River, Vermont. In 1854, Henry Keyes became president of the railroad. By 1863, the railroad ran from White River Junction to Derby Line. Emmons Raymond became president in 1870. That same year the company chartered the Massawippi Valley Railroad as far as Lennoxville, Quebec. In 1871, passener accomodation train became a permanent service and in 1877 Boston and Maine Railroad took over control of the railroad.

Emmons Raymond (1806-1892), president of the Connecticut and Passumpsic Rivers Railroad Company from 1870-1886.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Connecticut and Passumpsic Rivers Railroad Company records

MS-32
 Collection
Identifier: MS-32
Overview The collection contains the records and correspondence of the Connecticut and Passumpsic Rivers Railroad Company, primarily from the office of Emmons Raymond, president of the railroad in the 1870s.