Skip to main content Skip to search results

Dow Family

 

Bedford, New Hampshire: In 1733, Massachusetts established Bedford as "Narragansett, No. 5" for the benefit of soldiers who fought against the Narragansett people in Rhode Island. The area was also known as "Souhegan East". The settlement was incorporated as "Bedford" in 1750 and was named for John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford.

Stewartstown, New Hampshire: Stewartstown was granted in 1770 and incorporated in 1795. Originally named Stuart after Sir John Stuart, it was incorporated as Stewartstown after the Revolutionary War, following the original Scottish spelling of the name.

Salem, New Hampshire: The area was first settled in 1652. As early as 1736, Salem was the "North Parish" of Methuen, Massachusetts, or "Methuen District". In 1741, when the boundary line between Massachusetts and New Hampshire was fixed, the "North Parish" became part of New Hampshire, and was given the name "Salem", taken from nearby Salem, Massachusetts. The town was incorporated in 1750 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Dow Family papers

MS-51
 Collection
Identifier: MS-51
Overview Bedford, Stewartstown and Salem, New Hampshire and the Dow family of Salem, New Hampshire. The collection contains various legal and financial documents.